About the Fellowships
One of the priority areas for the VCA is building cancer research capacity and capability in Victoria through encouraging clinicians to undertake research projects in cancer.
The VCA Clinical Research Fellowships are intended to allow dedicated time for translational cancer research.
The aims of the Clinical Research Fellowship Scheme are to:
- Develop the future leaders of cancer research in Victoria
- Support clinical research by providing opportunities for clinicians to develop and sustain a career in cancer research
- Attract and/or retain the best cancer researchers with significant research potential to Victoria.
Clinical Research Fellowships are aimed at strengthening and supporting Victorian clinical cancer research, accelerating the translation of cancer research into practice and building local capacity in translational cancer research.
To make an application, you must have a defined research project that addresses an area of clinical need and provide evidence of organisational support for the project.
Applicants who are able to demonstrate their project would be enhanced by undertaking research at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) or a NCI-designated Cancer Center will be eligible to participate in the Victoria-USA Cancer Fellowship Exchange Program. This will provide support for up to 12 months to enable the applicant to undertake part of their grant in the United States.
The Clinical Research Fellowship Scheme is open to clinical researchers who:
- Are Australian or New Zealand citizens, or have permanent residency in Australia. Lead applicants must also be based in Victoria, Australia for the majority of the funding period.
- Have a specialist qualification in medicine or dentistry
- Hold a postgraduate research qualification (for example, PhD, MD, DMSc) have research experience with a demonstrated capacity to undertake independent translational research
Before you begin
Note that the application period closed on 25 September 2019
Read the Clinical Research Fellowships Scheme 2019 Guidelines (Word) to confirm eligibility (updated 9 August 2019).
Review the following attachments that may be required:
- Completed Biosketch Template (for the Chief Investigator) - This document should describe all relevant qualifications, previous appointments, achievements, a top 5 list of publications, a total number of relevant publications and other research related activities. This document must not exceed 5 pages with size 10 Arial font. Bio sketches greater than 5 pages will not be provided to the evaluation panel.
- Part-time supporting documentation (if applicable)
- List of Publications relating to previous VCA funding (if applicable)
- Head of Research Team report
- File upload of images referenced in project description
- VIC-USA Exchange host organisation endorsement (if applicable)
- Completed Administering Organisation Certification Form
- Completed Research Organisation Certification Form (if different to Administering Organisation).
- Victorian Cancer Agency Funding Round 2019 Factsheet (Word) (updated 2 August 2019)
- Victorian Cancer Agency Funding Round 2019 Frequently Asked Questions (Word) (updated 2 August 2019)
- Victorian Cancer Agency 2019 Funding Rules (Word)
- Victorian Cancer Agency Clinical Research Fellowship Application Form - preview (PDF) (updated 9 August)
- Previously funded projects
Applications have now closed.