About the Fellowship
(Incorporating the Low Survival Cancer Philanthropic Research Fellowship Scheme)
The objectives of the Early Career Research Fellowship are to:
- Support high quality cancer research conducted by early career researchers who are able to demonstrate clear evidence of translational research capacity.
- Provide a means of enhancing competitiveness of early career researchers to enable them to leverage further funding from granting bodies or industry; and facilitate collaboration related to the research project.
The Early Career Research Fellowship is available to:
- Support the salary of the researcher
- Support the direct research costs of undertaking the research project.
The Early Career Research Fellowship will include 2 streams:
These fellowships are available for laboratory-based researchers or researchers who require laboratory-based research as part of their project, incorporating any aspect of translational biomedical research relevant to cancer.
Projects that are not laboratory-based but are dependent on outsourcing of laboratory-based services for the conduct of the research proposal (e.g. bioinformatics, imaging or radiotherapy-based projects) should apply through the Biomedical Research Stream.
Non-biomedical (incorporating nursing, allied health, clinical, health services research and prevention research)
These fellowships are available for any other aspect of translational research to improve cancer outcomes. Laboratory-based researchers are not eligible to apply under this stream.
Applications for the Non-biomedical Research Stream are encouraged from nurses, allied health professionals, clinicians, supportive care researchers, cancer survivorship researchers, health economists, behavioural scientists, statisticians, implementation scientists, bioinformaticians (excluding projects that are reliant on laboratory-based services), epidemiologists, and other disciplines of non-laboratory based researchers conducting research across the continuum of cancer care.
Low-Survival Cancer Philanthropic Research Fellowship Scheme
This year the Early and Mid-Career research fellowships will incorporate a Low-Survival Cancer Philanthropic Research Fellowship scheme, which will involve awarding up to two additional non-financial partnerships with philanthropic organisations to provide a named fellowship (Early or Mid-Career) to the top ranked applicants.
The intended outcomes this scheme will be the prioritisation of low-survival cancer research and increased awareness of the work of the low survival cancer philanthropic partners.
To be eligible the proposed research must primarily address low-survival cancers, characterised by a 5-year survival rate of 50 per cent or lower (regardless of stage or subtype). It should specifically explore the causes, prevention, support and wellbeing, diagnosis, or treatment of these types of cancers.
- Given the greater value of the Mid-Career Research Fellowship, recipients will initially be selected from the Mid-Career Research Fellowship scheme. If no applications are eligible or meet the minimum threshold, the next highest ranked and eligible application within the Early Career Research Fellowship scheme will be awarded. Recipients may be selected from either the Biomedical or Non-Biomedical scheme.
- Applicants interested in this scheme must meet all other eligibility criteria required for the VCA Early Career or Mid-Career Research Fellowship scheme.
Before you begin
Read the Victorian Cancer Agency Early Career Research Fellowship 2023 Guidelines (Word) to confirm eligibility.
Review the following attachments that may be required:
- Research Output template
- Research Proposal template
- Publication List template
- Part-time supporting documentation (if applicable)
- Head of Research Team report
- Consumer Evaluation Panel Form template
- Administering Organisation Certification Form
- Research Organisation Certification Form (if different to Administering Organisation).
- Victorian Cancer Agency 2023 Funding Round Frequently Asked Questions (Word)
- Victorian Cancer Agency Funding Rules (Word)
- Victorian Cancer Agency Statement on Consumer Engagement in Cancer Research (Word)
- Victorian Cancer Agency 2023 Early Career Research Fellowship Application - Form preview (PDF)
- Previously funded projects