About the Fellowship
The objectives of the Early Career Research Fellowship are to:
- Support high quality cancer research conducted by early career researchers who are able to demonstrate clear evidence of translational research capacity.
- Provide a means of enhancing competitiveness of early career researchers to enable them to leverage further funding from granting bodies or industry; and facilitate collaboration related to the research project.
The Early Career Research Fellowship is available to:
- Support the salary of the researcher
- Support the direct research costs of undertaking the research project.
Applicants who are able to demonstrate their project would be enhanced by undertaking research at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) or a NCI-designated Cancer Center will be eligible to participate in the Victoria-USA Cancer Fellowship Exchange Program. This will provide support for up to 12 months to enable the applicant to undertake part of their grant in the United States.
Note: The Early Career Research Fellowship and Mid-Career Research Fellowship will include 2 streams:
- Includes laboratory-based research for any aspect of translational biomedical research relevant to cancer
Non-biomedical (incorporating nursing, allied health, health services research and prevention research)
- Includes any aspect of translational research to improve cancer outcomes
Applications are encouraged from nurses, allied health clinicians, supportive care researchers, cancer survivorship researchers, health economists, behavioural scientists, statisticians, bioinformaticians, epidemiologists, and other disciplines of non-laboratory based researchers conducting research across the continuum of cancer care.
Before you begin
Note that the application period closes on 25 September 2019
Read the Victorian Cancer Agency Early Career Research Fellowship 2019 Guidelines (Word) (updated 9 August 2019) to confirm eligibility.
Review the following attachments that may be required:
- Completed Biosketch Template (for the Chief Investigator) - This document should describe all relevant qualifications, previous appointments, achievements, a top 5 list of publications, a total number of relevant publications and other research related activities. This document must not exceed 5 pages with size 10 Arial font. Bio sketches greater than 5 pages will not be provided to the evaluation panel.
- Part-time supporting documentation (if applicable)
- List of Publications relating to previous VCA funding (if applicable)
- Head of Research Team report
- File upload of images referenced in project description
- VIC-USA Exchange host organisation endorsement (if applicable)
- Completed Administering Organisation Certification Form
- Completed Research Organisation Certification Form (if different to Administering Organisation).
- Victorian Cancer Agency Funding Round 2019 Factsheet (Word) (updated 2 August 2019)
- Victorian Cancer Agency Funding Round 2019 Frequently Asked Questions (Word) (updated 2 August 2019)
- Victorian Cancer Agency 2109 Funding Rules (Word)
- Victorian Cancer Agency Early Career Research Fellowship Application Form - preview (PDF) (updated 2 August 2019)
- Previously funded projects
Apply now for the Early Career Research Fellowship.