About the Fellowship
The grants aim to support and retain talented individuals in the field of cancer research in Victoria.
The objectives of the VCA Mid-Career Research Fellowship Scheme are to:
- Support high quality cancer research conducted by mid-career researchers who can demonstrate clear evidence of translational research capacity.
- Provide funding as a means of enhancing competitiveness of mid-career researchers to enable them to leverage further funding from granting bodies or industry.
Mid-Career Research Fellowships:
- Provide the salary of the researcher
- Support the direct research costs of undertaking the research project.
Please note: The Victoria-USA Cancer Fellowship Exchange Program will not be offered in 2021 due to the ongoing impact of COVID-19 and uncertainty around international travel restrictions.
The Mid-Career Research Fellowship will include 2 streams:
These fellowships are available for laboratory-based researchers or researchers who require laboratory-based research as part of their project, incorporating any aspect of translational biomedical research relevant to cancer.
Projects that are not laboratory-based but are dependent on outsourcing of laboratory-based services for the conduct of the research proposal (e.g. bioinformatics, imaging or radiotherapy-based projects) should apply through the Biomedical Research Stream.
Non-biomedical (incorporating nursing, allied health, clinical, health services research and prevention research)
These fellowships are available for any other aspect of translational research to improve cancer outcomes. Laboratory-based researchers are not eligible to apply under this stream.
Applications for the Non-biomedical Research Stream are encouraged from nurses, allied health professionals, clinicians, supportive care researchers, cancer survivorship researchers, health economists, behavioural scientists, statisticians, bioinformaticians (excluding projects that are reliant on laboratory-based services), epidemiologists, and other disciplines of non-laboratory based researchers conducting research across the continuum of cancer care.
Before you begin
Read the Mid-Career Research Fellowship Scheme 2021 Guidelines (Word) to confirm eligibility.
Review the following attachments that may be required:
- Completed Research Output and Leadership Template (for the Chief Investigator) - This document should describe all relevant qualifications, previous appointments, achievements, a top 5 list of publications, a total number of relevant publications, research leadership and other research related activities. This document must not exceed 8 pages with size 10 Arial font. Documents greater than 8 pages will not be provided to the evaluation panel.
- Part-time supporting documentation (if applicable)
- List of Publications
- Head of Research Team report
- Completed Research Proposal Template
- Completed Consumer Evaluation Panel Form template
- Completed Administering Organisation Certification Form
- Completed Research Organisation Certification Form (if different to Administering Organisation).
- Victorian Cancer Agency 2021 Funding Round Frequently Asked Questions (Word)
- Victorian Cancer Agency 2021 Funding Rules (Word)
- Victorian Cancer Agency 2021 Mid-Career Research Fellowship Application - Form preview (PDF)
- Previously funded projects